The 8th annual Falls Prevention Awareness Day will be observed on September 23rd. The event seeks to raise awareness about how to prevent fall-related injuries among older adults.
The theme for this year is Take a Stand to Prevent Falls.
Every 13 seconds, an older adult is seen in an emergency department for a fall-related injury. The good news ? Most falls are prevented, and you have the power to reduce your risk. Stay safe with these tips from National Council of Aging:
- Find a good balance and exercise program.
- Talk to your health care provider. Ask for an assessment of your risk of falling. Share your history of recent falls.
- Regularly review your medications with your doctor or pharmacist. Make sure side effects aren't increasing your risk of falls.
- Get your vision and hearing checked annually.
- Keep your home safe. Remove tripping hazards, increase lighting, make stairs safe, and install grab bars in key areas.
- Talk to your family members. Enlist their support in taking simple steps to stay safe.
For more information, talk to your doctor and please check these following sites: